Thursday, May 29, 2008

Barbara Walters and me

I had a wonderful night yesterday. I got to meet and shake the hand of a personal hero of mine, Barbara Walters. She was doing a speech and book signing at a college in my area. The kid, the boy and I went to see her. She was very elegant melodic smart and just about anything you could think about her except one thing. She is a very tiny petite woman. Some how I always thought of her as tall. But I believe she shorter then I am. Barbara Walters has been a role model of mine for years. I remember watching her as a little girl and being amazed that a woman was doing a mans job. At a time when there was no women really visible doing such things. Except weather girls and Miss America neither one I wished to be. I think she was the one who really spoke to me about what a woman could do. Let no one or no man stand in your way .Because of her I believed I could be whatever I wanted. Before I became aware of her I really didn't want to grow up. All I had seen was housewives and Mothers. Being a Mom didn't bother me but being a housewife did. Unfortunately I didn't follow her example but it was nice to believe I could. Like I said to her last night I'll say here thank you Barbara Walters.

No comments: