Thursday, November 22, 2007

Would you like more gravy on the spare tire?

Happy turkey day to all you Thanksgiving lovers. I am not one of you. Of all the holidays I have always hated this one. Until a few years ago I didn't really like turkey that much. So the holiday has always been a yucky one for me. For years while i was married we only celebrated it once. I cooked our first thanksgiving & needless to say the effort I put into it was not appreciated. So it was not worth my time to do it again.
But even before I was married I hated it. It was so chauvinistic. The women cooked all day and washed dishes all night. While the men watched TV and scratched themselves in undesirable places. They never lifted a finger, except to call for more beer. And the TV they watched was football. I never remember if that's the game where you dribble or not. It just never seemed fair to me.
And the food never appealed to me. Like I said I didn't like turkey. Then you have stuffing the thought of putting that in my mouth makes me gag. Wet soggy bread with additions like oysters, sausage, corn bread, fruits, vegetables and sage. UGH!! Gravy I could take it or leave it (and I usually left it). Mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes. And a can of some vegie. See nothing to get excited about.
So to me it was a holiday for women to feel overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated. Like any other day. At least in my family. The last few years I have spent with my mean mudder. Since the kid married the boy they go to his family house. We cook a little dinner nothing fancy.
This year was suppose to be a treat. We were ordering from a place that shall remain nameless (Boston Market). Just heat and eat. What could be better than that. Try needles in you eyes. It was a disaster from the moment of pickup.
First of all they could not find the order, twenty minutes later they find my order. It's not ready cause they are heating it. We ordered it chilled. Now I repeated several times what we ordered and I even handed them a list of our order. You don't have to be Fellini to know we did not get what we ordered. Now I could of lived with all of that but then there was the gravy.
Oh yes the gravy. That's what sent me over the edge. Now I realize that an Albert Einstein probably doesn't working there, but you would think that they would know how to use saran wrap and put a lid on a container. Apparently they missed that day in training. I had put the food in my trunk for the ride home. Now i have a brand new car 6 months old, 2500 miles, and knock on wood no scratches. But I now have a brand new car with a trunk full of gravy. Some asshole did not pack the gravy right. Now it just didn't stay in the trunk. There a little hole by the latch to reach the spare tire. The gravy went to that hole like a moth to a flame and soaked the spare tire. I spent an hour in the pouring rain cleaning my trunk. I also had the gravy on my pants and purse which the cats cleaned for me.
So this thanksgiving I opened a can of vegies and left the gravy.

No comments: