Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Jesus Christ Superstar

Last night I went with my kid and the boy to see JCS. They got me the tickets for Christmas. It was neither the best nor the worst play I have seen it was enjoyable for the most part. But I do have a few rants. First of all never ever take a straight 16 year old boy to a play. I had the unfortunate seat behind him. They are just not into it. He moved his head so much for a moment I thought he would pull a Reagan from The Exocist and spin his head completely around. I almost had motion sickness. Next even if you know all the words to the songs and can sing like Josh Groban don't sing them before the play. The guy behind me did just that. And he didn't know all the words and he sounded like foghorn leghorn.
Now to the play JCS it starred Ted Neeley. Who also played JC in the movie and I think he was the original JC from it's first broadway run in the 70's. It was a little disconcerting to see a balding Jesus. Also Ted Neeley is at least twice as old as Jesus when he died. He is not the man who made my heart skip a beat in the movie and on the album. Unfortuantely as it has for all of us time has taken its toll. He missed some notes and his voice cracked. But on the other hand they had a very good Judas. That man could sing and act. But my favorite was the woman playing Mary Magdeline. She looked like how I pictured Mary Magdeline looking. Soft, curvy, and red hair. A beautiful voice.
It was a wonderful gift and a wonderful evening with my kid and the boy.

1 comment:

The Witty Librarian said...

Wasn't it a fantastic show? Mary and Judas rocked, but as for the guy who played Jesus- well, that was a bit off- okay, a lot off! Being twice the age was when Jesus died is definately a detractor to the performance.