Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

Here it is again Christmas Eve, Probably one of my favorite days of the year. Even as a child it was my favorite because of family tradition. My Grandmother was first generation born American her parents were from Germany. She lost her Mother in the great flu epidemic. Had Grandma lived this Halloween she would have been 100. For all of her life and mostly likely her parents and stepmother honored the German tradition of family and celebrating Christmas Eve. When my grandparents were alive every year we went to there house on Christmas Eve. We drove the 40 or so odd miles in what ever weather god gave us. Listening and singing (badly) carols on the way out and back. The excitement on the long ride was more then I could bear. At long last we would arrive at my grandparents house. A few lighted decorations on the outside and their 4 foot tree on a table in front of the picture window. Now you couldn't go in the front door because there were so many presents under the tree and besides it was easier to go thru the garage and less messy for Grandma. Then began the long wait for Aunt Nity who was always late. Even when she had kids herself. I was about 11 when she and Uncle Dick adopted Dave and 13 when they adopted Jan. Finally they would arrive and Uncle Dick would tells us that he ran over Santa's sled. When Joey and me were younger we would be very upset. But soon the allure of gifts would make us forget. My cousins and me would scope out the tree looking for our gifts. And wonder who or how many of us would get a big gift that my grandparents would hide in the front bedroom. Those gifts came only after all the gifts were opened. Finally it was time to open the gifts. It took a long time as we would open one gift at a time. And everyone bought a gifts for everyone. I loved to watch everyone opening their gifts. I was happy sitting with family and drinking a sodie pop. And when the last gift was opened Grandma would go to the front bedroom and bring out the big stuff. One year for me it was a baby buggy another a TV. Joey got a bicycle and other big sports stuff.

Then we would all head to the basement for food and drinks. Grandpa built a wet bar down there and they had the old living room set down there. I loved that set it was black and gray with pink roses very gaudy very 50's. Now Grandma wasn't the best cook (bless her heart). But she would make So Good Barbecue. A jarred barbecue made and sold only in Elgin Il where they lived. That it the best barbecue ever. Because no one could decide if they liked the pork or beef best so she mixed the two. Aunt Lyn would bring her deviled eggs (delicious). And there would be potato chips. One of the best meal ever. My mouth waters thinking about it. Down in that basement was a lot of laughter and drinking going on. I don't ever remember bringing any new toys to basement to play with because we just were just happy to be together. Us cousins would try to guess what Santa would bring and if Uncle Dick really did hit Santa's sleigh.

When the food had been eaten and the drinks drunk. It was time to loaded the car and say our goodbyes. Hugs and kisses all around. Then singing (badly) all the way home.

Now on a bitter note a few years after the grandparents were gone, the family rotated Christmas Eve between the 3 sisters. Then one years 2 or 3 members of one branch of the family decided for all of us to stop the family get together Christmas Eve. They may have stopped the get togethers but they will never take the memory of Christmas Eve at my grandparents. I love those times and the family. Now I have a new tradition I am sure my grandparents would approve of. So to all of you I wish for you a Happy Christmas Eve and may you make memories as special as mine.

No comments: