Saturday, December 8, 2007

My Lobotomy A Memoir

Most people who know me would be waiting for a punchline for the title of this entry. But this isn't funny. Now my kid writes wonderful reviews of books on her blog and when I learn how I will link hers with mine. And I am not going to write a review about My Lobotomy A Memoir, instead I will tell you about my feelings with this book. My Lobotomy A Memoir will haunt me all the days of my life. It is a profoundly sad book. It took me a long time to read it as emotions often overtook me. I wept for this child who is now a man. But still I weep for him. His stepmother stole from him his life, his possibilities, and his family. More importantly she could not destroy his soul, his compassion, his humanity, nor his ability to love. As much as I care for this man, I have hatred in my heart for his stepmother. I cannot understand why she did what she did. I cannot understand why his father agree to it. And along the way social workers, doctors, nurses, family members, and friends of the family knew what going on. And not one person tried to save this child from a lobotomy at age 12. I just can't wrap my head around it. I sure would like to give him a hug.
There is only one other book that haunts me as this book will. The other book is No Language But A Cry. I read that book when I was in the 8Th grade. And there are times to this day I think about that baby girl. As with her I will keep Howard Dully story in my heart and in my prayers.

No comments: